Church briefs are devoted to news of upcoming special events and activities for the area religious community.
* BBQ Chicken Dinner will be held Saturday, June 29, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Orrtanna UM Church, 1717 Carrolls Tract Road, Orrtanna. Eat in or take out. Call 717-642-9673.
* The 2019 Summer Worship series, sponsored by the Gettysburg Ministerium, will be held Sunday during the summer at 8 a.m. at the Battlefield Amphitheater on Confederate Avenue. Rev. Steve Herr, Christ Lutheran Church, will be the worship leader for June 30.
* The 26th annual Biglerville Oakside Community Park Summer Bluegrass Gospel Concert Series continues Sunday, June 30, at 6:30 p.m. with Guilford Station Bluegrass Gospel Band.
* Church Women United invites all local church women its meeting and luncheon on Wednesday, July 3, 11:30 a.m., at the Gettysburg Church of the Brethren, 1710 Biglerville Road, with guest speaker Jean Green who will share history of the A.M.E. Church. FMI, call Cheryl at 717-337-2938.
* There will be a tour of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (the Conewago Chapel) on Saturday, July 6, meeting at the front entrance of the church at 11 a.m. The Rev. Joseph R. Howard of the Basilica, will lead the tour. Tim Smith, local historian, will give highlights of the cemetery. This tour is part of the John Timon Reily Historical Society’s 50th anniversary and open to the public.
* A free Patriotic Concert by the National Christian Choir will be held July 6, at 4 p.m. at Gettysburg High School. Call 717-321-3149 for more details.
* A Community Potluck Dinner is held at 6 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month at Under The Horizon, 2650 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg. If able, bring a dish to share. The studio will provide water, coffee and place settings. Call 717-752-4593 for more information.
* First Baptist Church of Gettysburg, 1015 Chambersburg Road, holds a college-aged ministry (CAM) for ages 18- 25 every Wednesday from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
* Day of Pilgrimage is held Sunday through Friday starting with a 1:30 p.m. Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, 339 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, Md.
* The Clothing Closet at Gettysburg United Methodist Church, High Street, Gettysburg, is open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The Gettysburg Food Pantry, 153 N. Stratton St. is open every Monday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Upper Adams Food Pantry serves soup/sandwiches plus provides food assistance every second and fourth Monday from 6-7:30 p.m., at Centenary Methodist Church, 99 N. Main St., Biglerville. Call 717-677-6951.
* Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, has an outdoor food pantry on the parking lot of the church for those in need. Donations greatly appreciated.
* Immaculate Conception Church Thrift Shop, 5 Carlisle St., New Oxford, is having a 50 percent off moving sale from now until June 29, before moving to the Immaculate Conception School, N. Peter’s Street, opening on Monday, July 15. Shop hours are Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 717-624-1272.
* The St. Vincent Church Thrift Shop, rear 224 Third St., Hanover, is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Weekly sales, First Friday specials and Super Sale Saturdays with 50 percent off entire shop.
* Free Fitness Program at Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church, 1865 Knoxlyn Road, Gettysburg, on Thursdays from 1 to 2 p.m.