Church briefs are devoted to news of upcoming special events and activities for the area religious community.
* The 2019 Summer Worship series, sponsored by the Gettysburg Ministerium, is held Sundays during the summer at 8 a.m. at the Battlefield Amphitheater on Confederate Avenue. Cheryl Betts, director of Christian Ed, Gettysburg Presbyterian, will lead worship on Aug. 4.
* A free grilled chicken dinner and concert by the Hyssongs will be held Aug. 9, sponsored by Tom’s Creek United Methodist Church at the outdoor pavilion on Route 140, three miles east of Emmitsburg, Md. The free dinners will be served starting at 5:30 p.m., followed by the concert. All are welcome. Please bring lawn chairs and/or blankets. For questions, call Jeanne Schubert at 301-502-7494.
* Prince of Peace, Gettysburg’s Episcopal parish, will offer “Roar,” a vacation bible school with an African savannah theme. The program will run from 9 a.m.-noon, Aug. 12-16, at 20 West High Street, Gettysburg.
Register online at www.gettysburgepiscopal.org, or call or visit the parish office at 717-334-6463 for more information.
* Hanover Christian Women’s Club will host a luncheon on Wednesday, Aug. 14, from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Cross Keys Restaurant’s banquet room, 6110 York Road, New Oxford. Entrance is at rear of building. Speaker will be Grace Fabian, author of the book, “Outrageous Grace,” with a special feature presented by Compassion Transport Services. To make a reservation, call Violet at 717-353-3231 or Ruth at 717-633-7360.
* The Back 2 School Bash, featuring free games, food, face painting and haircuts, will take place from 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 15 at Liberty Worship Center, 29 Carrolls Tract Road
* Dog Days will be held from 9 a.m.-noon on Saturday, Aug. 17 at Mt. Zion Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners. Pastor David Clark will bless the animals at 9:30 a.m. and a petting zoo is available at 10 a.m. The first-ever Gardner’s dog show begins at 11 a.m. Donations will be collected for local shelters. Contact Sherry Warrick at 717-486-7270 for more information.
* An annual church picnic will be held at 10:10 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 18, beginning with worship at Bethel Mennonite Church, 2335 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg. Picnic lunch at 11:30 a.m., followed by activities for adults and children. Call 717-420-5655 or go to bmcgettysburg.church for information.
* St. Mary’s Church, 256 Tract Road, Fairfield, will be holding an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner in the parish hall on Sunday, Aug. 18, from 3-6 p.m. Children under age 6 eat free. Call 717-642-8815.
* The Conewago District Council of Catholic Women will hold the 82nd Annual District Mass and Dinner, Thursday, Sept. 12 at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, Abbottstown. Mass is at 6 p.m. Following Mass, a chicken dinner will be held in the Parish Social Hall. Guest speaker Mary Furlong’s topic is: “Voice of Malawi: Global Catholicism in a Developing Nation.” For reservations, contact Pat Slonaker at 717-624-3245 or email@example.com no later than Aug. 30.
* Wesley Chapel UMC Fall Festival, Saturday, Sept. 21, noon to 5 p.m. Rain or shine. Music by “The Bluegrass Chapel Band” from 2-5 pm. Serving fried oyster sandwiches, homemade chicken corn soup/beef vegetable soup, kettle fried potatoes, steamers, hot dogs and homemade baked goods. Address: 654 Old Waynesboro Road, Fairfield. Health Ministry team offering free blood pressure screenings.
* Trinity United Church of Christ, Gettysburg, is sponsoring a bus trip to the Flight 93 Memorial on Saturday, Oct. 12. The bus will depart from Trinity at 60 East High St. at 7 a.m. and return at 4 p.m. Bring bagged lunch. Purchase tickets by Aug. 30, by calling the church office weekday mornings at 717-334-7266.
* Members of Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Abbottstown are joining Father Ho Lung (Missionaries of the Poor) on a Mission Trip to Jamaica Nov. 2-10, 2019, to serve the people. Why not consider joining them? Contact Roy Wainwright at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-619-7243. Find more information at www.ihmparadise.org/29.
* A Community Potluck Dinner is held at 6 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month at Under The Horizon, 2650 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg. If able, bring a dish to share. The studio will provide water, coffee and place settings. Call 717-752-4593 for more information.
* First Baptist Church of Gettysburg, 1015 Chambersburg Road, beginning Sept. 4 from 6-8 p.m. AWANA — For ages 3-12th grade. Free Dinner at 5 p.m.
* Day of Pilgrimage is held Sunday through Friday starting with a 1:30 p.m. Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, 339 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, Md.
* The Clothing Closet at Gettysburg United Methodist Church, High Street, Gettysburg, is open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The Gettysburg Food Pantry, 153 N. Stratton St. is open every Monday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Upper Adams Food Pantry serves soup/sandwiches plus provides food assistance every second and fourth Monday from 6-7:30 p.m., at Centenary Methodist Church, 99 N. Main St., Biglerville. Call 717-677-6951.
* Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, has an outdoor food pantry on the parking lot of the church for those in need. Donations greatly appreciated.
* Immaculate Conception Church Thrift Shop, 5 Carlisle St., New Oxford, has not yet moved and is holding a clothing sale — buy two items, get third item free. Shop hours are Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Questions, call 717-624-1272.
* The St. Vincent Church Thrift Shop, rear 224 Third St., Hanover, is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Weekly sales, First Friday specials and Super Sale Saturdays with 50 percent off entire shop.
* Free Fitness Program at Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church, 1865 Knoxlyn Road, Gettysburg, on Thursdays from 1 to 2 p.m.