Church briefs are devoted to news of upcoming special events and activities for the area religious community.
*Liberty Worship Center will host guest speaker Pastor Garry Sheaffer at 10 a.m., Sunday, Aug. 11 during its service, worship and pot-luck lunch at 29 Carrolls Tract Road, Fairfield.
* Hanover Christian Women’s Club will host a luncheon on Wednesday, Aug. 14, from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Cross Keys Restaurant’s banquet room, 6110 York Road, New Oxford. Entrance is at rear of building. Grace Fabian, author of the book, “Outrageous Grace,” will speak, with a special feature presented by Compassion Transport Services. To make a reservation, call Violet at 717-353-3231 or Ruth at 717-633-7360.
*Iron Springs Brethren in Christ, 855 Iron Springs Road, Fairfield invites the community to join for a hymn sing at the church Sunday, Aug. 18. A meal will be served between 4-7 p.m. For questions call 717-642-5492.
* The annual church picnic for Bethel Mennonite Church, 2335 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg will be held on Sunday, Aug. 18, beginning with worship at 10:10 a.m. A picnic lunch will follow at 11:30 a.m., as well as activities for adults and children. Call 717-420-5655 or go to bmcgettysburg.church for information.
* St. Mary’s Church, 256 Tract Road, Fairfield, will be holding an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner in the parish hall on Sunday, Aug. 18, from 3 to 6 p.m. Dinner includes, spaghetti, meatballs, sausage, salad, bread stick, drinks and dessert. Children under age 6 eat free. For information call 717-642-8815.
* The Conewago District Council of Catholic Women will hold the 82nd Annual District Mass and Dinner, Thursday, Sept. 12 at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, Abbottstown. Mass is at 6 p.m. Following Mass, a chicken dinner will be held in the Parish Social Hall. Guest speaker Mary Furlong’s topic is: “Voice of Malawi: Global Catholicism in a Developing Nation.” All women of the diocese are invited to attend. For reservations, contact Pat Slonaker at 717-624-3245 or firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Aug. 30.
* Wesley Chapel UMC will hold its Fall Festival, Saturday, Sept. 21, from noon to 5 p.m., rain or shine. Music will be provided by “The Bluegrass Chapel Band” from 2-5 pm. The menu includes fried oyster sandwiches, homemade chicken corn soup/beef vegetable soup, kettle fried potatoes, steamers, hot dogs and homemade baked goods. Address: 654 Old Waynesboro Road, (Fountaindale) Fairfield. New: Health Ministry team offering free blood pressure screenings.
* Trinity United Church of Christ, Gettysburg, is sponsoring a bus trip to the Flight 93 Memorial on Saturday, Oct. 12. The bus will depart from Trinity at 60 East High St. at 7 a.m. and return at 4 p.m. Bring bagged lunch. Purchase tickets by Aug. 30, by calling the church office weekday mornings at 717-334-7266.
* Members of Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Abbottstown are joining Father Ho Lung (Missionaries of the Poor) on a Mission Trip to Jamaica Nov. 2-10, 2019, to serve the people. Why not consider joining them? Contact Roy Wainwright at email@example.com or 717-619-7243. Find more information at www.ihmparadise.org/29.
* A Community Potluck Dinner is held at 6 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month at Under The Horizon, 2650 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg. If able, bring a dish to share. The studio will provide water, coffee and place settings. Call 717-752-4593 for more information.
* First Baptist Church of Gettysburg, 1015 Chambersburg Road, beginning Sept 4 from 6-8 p.m. AWANA — For ages 3 -12th grade. Free Dinner at 5 p.m.
* Pastor Don Heindel will speak about the opioid epidemic during an Adams County Community Prayer Breakfast from 7:30-9 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 23. at the Comfort Suites Gettysburg. The program will give a glimpse into the journey of the pastor and his family’s fight against a disease of the body, mind and spirit while seeking to understand addiction and offer hope and healing through the example of Jesus. Register by calling 717-334-8151.
* Day of Pilgrimage is held Sunday through Friday starting with a 1:30 p.m. Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, 339 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, Md.
* The Clothing Closet at Gettysburg United Methodist Church, High Street, Gettysburg, is open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The Gettysburg Food Pantry, 153 N. Stratton St. is open every Monday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Upper Adams Food Pantry serves soup and sandwiches and provides food assistance every second and fourth Monday from 6-7:30 p.m., at Centenary Methodist Church, 99 N. Main St., Biglerville. Call 717-677-6951.
* Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, has an outdoor food pantry on the parking lot of the church for those in need. Donations greatly appreciated.
* Immaculate Conception Church Thrift Shop, 5 Carlisle St., New Oxford, has not yet moved and is holding a clothing sale — buy two items, get third item free. Shop hours are Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Questions, call 717-624-1272.
* The St. Vincent Church Thrift Shop, rear 224 Third St., Hanover, is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Weekly sales, First Friday specials and Super Sale Saturdays with 50 percent off entire shop.
* Free Fitness Program at Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church, 1865 Knoxlyn Road, Gettysburg, on Thursdays from 1 to 2 p.m.