Church briefs are devoted to news of upcoming special events and activities for the area religious community.
* St. Francis Xavier Church will hold a Rummage Sale at Xavier Center, 465 Table Rock Road, Gettysburg, today from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information call 717-334-3298.
* Ascension Day (Upper Adams Christians Together) worship will be held at Bender’s Lutheran Church, 1385 Rentzel Road, Biglerville, on Thursday, May 30, at 7 p.m., outdoors in the pavilion.
* A mini-retreat called “Into the Deep” with speaker Dan Burke will be held June 1, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (Mass at 8 a.m.) at St Mary’s Parish Hall, 256 Tract Rd, Fairfield. St. Mary’s and St Rita’s are hosting this retreat. For cost, which includes gift bag and snacks, call 717-642-8815.
* Bethel Mennonite Church invites all to an 80th Anniversary Celebration on Sunday, June 2, at 10 a.m. at 2335 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg. The commemorative worship service will include a history presentation and a time of sharing. A Fellowship Meal will be served after the service. Visit www.bmcgettysburg.church, call 717-420-5655 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The sanctuary of Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 30 Chambersburg St., will be filled with the sound of jazz on Sunday, June 2, at 10:30 a.m. The Buzz Jones Quintet will be offering music of the summer season and congregational singing will “swing.” All are welcome.
* Church Women United will have their annual picnic on June 5, at 11:30 a.m. at the Gettysburg Church of the Brethren, 1710 Biglerville Road. It will be held indoors, rain or shine. Please bring side dish or dessert to share. The Men’s Interfaith will be guests. FMI, contact Cheryl @ 717-337-2938.
* Benders Lutheran Church, 1385 Rentzel Road, Biglerville, will be having a yard sale on Saturday, June 8, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Spaces still available. Call 717-677-8297. Many bargains, a food stand, book table with current authors and the Popcorn Lady.
* Emmanuel United Church of Christ, 124 Broadway, Hanover, will welcome representatives from three local nonprofits to speak about their work during worship at 9:30 a.m. on June 9. The church’s Missions & Outreach Committee will host the Hanover Area Council of Churches, Hoffman Homes for Youth, and New Hope Ministries, and will present contributions to each organization. Visit www.emmanuelucc.org.
* Historic Peace Church, located on the corner of St. John’s and Trindle roads, near Camp Hill, will host a “Hymnfest” on Sunday, June 9, at 3 p.m. For more information, call 717-571-5189.
* Trinity United Church of Christ, Gettysburg, is sponsoring a bus trip to The Museum of the Bible in Washington, DC on Saturday, June 15. Admission to the museum is included in the cost per person. The bus will depart from Trinity, located at 60 East High St., Gettysburg, at 7:30 a.m. and return around 7 p.m. For cost and to register for the trip, call Trinity UCC at 717-334-7266.
* The 2019 Summer Worship series, sponsored by the Gettysburg Ministerium, will be held every Sunday during the summer at 8 a.m. at the Battlefield Amphitheater on Confederate Avenue. Rev. Fred Young, Trinity UCC, will be Rev. Dale Williams, retired, Presbyterian, will be the worship leader for June 16. All are welcome. A free will offering is collected to support the Ministerium Emergency Assistance Fund.
* The 26th annual Biglerville Oakside Community Park Summer Bluegrass Gospel Concert Series kicks off on Sunday, June 16, at 6:30 p.m. with Chapter VII Gospel Quartet. The concerts are held on Sundays through July 28, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Bring lawn chairs. In case of rain, concert held at Centenary United Methodist Church.
* A Community Potluck Dinner is held at 6 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month at Under The Horizon, 2650 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg. If able, bring a dish to share. The studio will provide water, coffee and place settings. Call 717-752-4593 for more information.
* First Baptist Church of Gettysburg, 1015 Chambersburg Road, holds a college-aged ministry (CAM) for ages 18- 25 every Wednesday from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
* Day of Pilgrimage is held Sunday through Friday starting with a 1:30 p.m. Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, 339 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, Md.
* The Clothing Closet at Gettysburg United Methodist Church, High Street, Gettysburg, is open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The Gettysburg Food Pantry, 153 N. Stratton St. is open every Monday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Upper Adams Food Pantry serves soup/sandwiches plus provides food assistance every second and fourth Monday from 6-7:30 p.m., at Centenary Methodist Church, 99 N. Main St., Biglerville. Call 717-677-6951.
* Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, has an outdoor food pantry on the parking lot of the church for those in need. Donations greatly appreciated.
* Immaculate Conception Church Thrift Shop, 5 Carlisle St., New Oxford, is open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 717-624-1272.
* The St. Vincent Church Thrift Shop, rear 224 Third St., Hanover, is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Weekly sales, First Friday specials and Super Sale Saturdays with 50 percent off entire shop.
* Free Fitness Program at Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church, 1865 Knoxlyn Road, Gettysburg, on Thursdays from 1 to 2 p.m.