Church briefs are devoted to news of upcoming special events and activities for the area religious community.
* St. Mark Lutheran Church in Hanover is sponsoring two free events on Saturday, Oct. 12. The annual Pet Blessing will be held at 2 p.m. in the front of the church, off Charles Street. The Community Block Party will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. on the Allegheny Avenue side of the church. There will be food, games, and exhibits. Entertainment will be provided by “Cormorant’s Fancy,” on the lawn near Allegheny Avenue, across from the main entrance to the hospital. In the event of rain, this event will be held in Fellowship Hall.
Uriah United Methodist Church, 925 Goodyear Road, Gardners, will host an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner fundraiser at 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 12 to help Bob and Sandy Stonebraker with medical and other necessary expenses, due to cancer and loss of full-time employment. Bob was diagnosed with melanoma in 2015 and is still undergoing chemotherapy treatments. Donations are suggested. Spaghetti, garlic bread, a salad bar, homemade desserts and drinks are included with the meal. Call 717-486-7543 or email email@example.com for more information.
* Trinity United Church of Christ, Gettysburg, is sponsoring a bus trip to the Flight 93 Memorial on Saturday, Oct. 12. The bus will depart from Trinity at 60 East High St. at 7 a.m. and return at 4 p.m. Bring bagged lunch. Purchase tickets by calling the church office weekday mornings at 717-334-7266.
* The Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Relay for Life Cancer Team will host a turkey dinner with all the trimmings at 5 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 19 at 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners to benefit Dustin Steinour, a 35-year-old father of two suffering from brain cancer. Make reservations before Sunday, Oct. 13 by calling 717-486-5897 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A charitable auction will follow. All proceeds go toward medical expenses. Donations may also be made at www.mountzionlutheran.com, by selecting the Dustin Steinour Fundraiser fund.
* The Men’s Club at St. Mary’s Church, 256 Tract Road, Fairfield, is holding an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast in the church hall on Sunday, Oct. 20 from 8 a.m. until noon. It includes pancakes, eggs, hash-browns, sausage, coffee, tea, iced tea and orange juice. Carry outs are available. Children under age 6 eat free. For additional information call 717-642-8815.
* Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, invites the public to attend a Harvest Festival soup and sandwich lunch following the 10:30 a.m. service on Sunday, Oct. 20. The lunch is part of the 150th Anniversary Celebration of the founding of the church.
* Pastor David Clark will conduct a Service of the Word for Healing at 7 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 20, at Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners. The service is for anyone sensing the need for God’s healing in their life. It will include hymns, scripture and prayer. Individuals can receive the gift of prayer, with anointing with oil.
* Members of Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Abbottstown are joining Father Ho Lung (Missionaries of the Poor) on a Mission Trip to Jamaica Nov. 2-10, to serve the people. Why not consider joining them? Contact Roy Wainwright at email@example.com or 717-619-7243. Find more information at www.ihmparadise.org/29.
*Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, will hold its fourth annual Fall Festival on Saturday, Nov. 2, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. The youth group will serve breakfast and lunch. Vendors can rent a space either inside or outside the church. All interested vendors should contact Sherry Warrick at 717-486-7270 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. All funds raised will benefit the church’s youth and mission camp program.
* First Baptist Church of Gettysburg, 1015 Chambersburg Road, beginning Sept. 4 from 6-8 p.m. AWANA — For ages 3-12th grade. Free dinner at 5 p.m.
* Day of Pilgrimage is held Sunday through Friday starting with a 1:30 p.m. Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, 339 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, Md.
* The Clothing Closet at Gettysburg United Methodist Church, High Street, Gettysburg, is open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The Gettysburg Food Pantry, 153 N. Stratton St. is open every Monday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Upper Adams Food Pantry serves soup/sandwiches plus provides food assistance every second and fourth Monday from 6-7:30 p.m., at Centenary Methodist Church, 99 N. Main St., Biglerville. Call 717-677-6951.
* Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, has an outdoor food pantry on the parking lot of the church for those in need. Donations greatly appreciated.
* Immaculate Conception Church Thrift Shop, 5 Carlisle St., New Oxford, is having a clothing sale, buy one, get one free; the second item must of equal or lesser value. Shop hours are Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Questions call 717-624-1272.
* Free Fitness Program at Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church, 1865 Knoxlyn Road, Gettysburg, on Thursdays from 1 to 2 p.m.