Stuckey’s was a chain of stores stretching along southern highways. The stores were famous for their 30 varieties of pecans, candies and fruits, sugar and hickory smoked hams, sausage and bacon. Service station facilities were available at the stores.
Wishing to expand the chain north, they chose the Gettysburg location for a Stuckey’s Pecan Shoppe chain. It opened on a Saturday, Aug. 20, 1955, two miles south of Gettysburg on the Emmitsburg Road at the Peach Orchard corner.