The Taneytown History Museum invites the public to visit its newest exhibit, "On the Way to Gettysburg."
During June 29 and July 7, 1863, approximately 40,000 troops passed through Taneytown, Md., on their way to, and later from Gettysburg. With the approaching 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the Taneytown History Museum's newest exhibit is highlighting sights and scenes the soldiers may have observed as they passed through this small town. The Museum is opening this new exhibit on Saturday, April 28.
Among the featured "displays" are Gen. George Meade's arrival in Taneytown, Md., on June 29, 1863, and the establishment of his headquarters, which was located at the Lutheran parsonage on Emmitsburg Road, and the field headquarters on the Benjamin Shunk farm on Littlestown Road; Gen. Daniel Sickles June 30 review of this Third Corps troops as they passed through Taneytown and camped on farms on the Littlestown Road; the citizens of Taneytown who greeted the soldiers with cheers of encouragement, flowers, flags, warm bread, and drinks.
Also, included is a display of Civil War artifacts, most of which were found in this area of the troops' camp sites.
There will be special Civil War-themed events held at the Museum throughout the summer.
There are other new exhibits on display: Got Milk? featuring the William Marshall Mehring milking machine that he patented in 1892. The Carroll County resident received a patent on the milking machine that was marketed and sold across the country. The Mehring machine allowed a farmer to milk two cows at once. Linda Zimmerman, a Taneytown resident, loaned this milker to the museum for this exhibit. Another Mehring milker, an upright version which used a hand pump, is also on loan from Nancy Eyler, exhibits and artifacts coordinator of the Museum. The milking machines were made in Keymar, Md. There is also on display in this exhibit a piece of the Taneytown Creamery loaned from Linda Zimmerman's agricultural memorabilia. Local dairy advertising, large scale butter churn, old milk bottles and other items are on display. Copies of "Farming in Carroll County," by Lyndi McNulty, are available for sale. Proceeds will benefit the museum.
Another new exhibit features ephemera and souvenirs from the Carroll County celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the birth of George Washington. A large parade and bicentennial celebration was held in Taneytown 80 years ago on July 4, 1932.
The Museum Gift Shop has framed Taneytown prints, note cards, Civil War historical books, holiday ornaments and many other books and items for purchase.
The Museum hours are Frdays, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Saturdays, from 1 to 4 p.m.; and Sundays, from 1 to 4 p.m. Admission is free; donations are accepted. All of the items are on loan to the Museum from local citizens.
For information about the Taneytown History Museum, visit www.taneytownmuseum.org or call (410) 756-4234.