Church briefs are devoted to upcoming events and activities of the area religious community.
* The annual anniversary covered dish picnic for Flohr’s Lutheran Church is Sunday, Sept. 18, 1 p.m. Meat and beverages will be provided. Games for all ages. For more information, call 717-642-9233 or 717-334-4293.
* The Upper Adams Prayer Breakfast is Monday, Sept. 12, beginning at 7:30 a.m. with Pastor Gary Fanus as the guest speaker at the Apple Bin Grill and Bakery.
* There is a drive-thru food pantry from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month at GBC Church, 95 Fairview Road, Gettysburg, while supplies last. Visitors are asked to stay in their vehicles while they wait. Visit www.gbcchurch.com for more information.
* The Gettysburg Food Pantry, 153 N. Stratton St., is open every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. to help those in need.
* Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Road, Gardners, has an outdoor food pantry on the church parking for those in need. Upper Bermudian Lutheran Church, 185 Ground Oak Church Road, Gardners, also has an outdoor food pantry located near the church on the parking lot. Donations to help with either of the food pantries appreciated.
* Upper Adams Food Pantry, located in Centenary United Methodist Church, 99 N. Main St., serves families in the Upper Adams School District; second and fourth Mondays, 6-7:30 p.m. with meal; and the third Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for food distribution. For more information, call 717-262-8960.
* Anyone who enjoys knitting/crocheting as a hobby or wants to learn to knit is invited to join a group at Memorial Baptist Church, 1096 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg, the first and third Thursdays of each month, 12:30-2:30 p.m. There is no charge for fellowship, fun and knitting. Call Marybeth at 484-505-0470 for more information.
* Great Conewago Presbyterian Church at Hunterstown, 174 Red Bridge Road, Gettysburg, is celebrating the renovation of its circa 1880 Weaver antique pump organ on Sunday, Sept. 11, at the 10 a.m. worship service. Several musical selections will be played by Barbara Rode. There will also be a “silver collection” gathered in support of the Great Conewago Presbyterian Church Cemetery. The organ was acquired in 1951 through Margaret Taughinbaugh’s will in memory of her sister Ida G. Brinkerhoff. All are welcome to the Friends and Family Luncheon that follows the service at 11 a.m. Favorite dishes of the church members will be shared. For more information, contact 717-642-8824.
* US Senate Chaplain Barry Black will be the keynote speaker at Gettysburg’s upcoming Dry Bones Revival, Oct. 1. The day begins at 9 a.m. with a meet and greet with light refreshments; 9:30-11 a.m., prayer, praise, inspiring music, children’s story, testimonies, and sermonette; 11 a.m., Black will give his message. Afterwards is a vegetarian lunch, followed by a Gettysburg Battlefield Hike, sponsored by the Gettysburg SDAC Step Club at 2 p.m. Gettysburg SDA is located at 1495 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg. Find more at www.getsda.org.
* Lower Marsh Creek Church, 1865 Knoxlyn Road, Gettysburg, will have a multi-family yard sale in the church parking lot on Saturday, Sept. 24, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Baked goods, soups, and coffee will be for sale in Fellowship Hall. If it rains, everything will be in Fellowship Hall.
* Trinity UCC, Gettysburg, invites all children to take a step back in time, visiting a first century marketplace in ancient Jerusalem where they will visit interactive shops and explore games, music, crafts, and stories while experiencing what life was like during the time of Jesus. Marketplace 29 A.D. will be held Sundays at 9 a.m. at Trinity UCC, on the corner of High and Stratton streets.
* Gift Fair and Holiday Bazaar at Saint Francis Xavier Center, 465 Table Rock Road, Gettysburg, Saturday, Nov. 12, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Local vendors, crafters and artisans. Vintage collectibles, holiday gifts, bake sale, door prizes, raffles and more. Call 717-309-2482 or visit www.sfxpccw.org for details. Xavier Cafe serving American and Latino breakfast and lunch menu prepared by the Hispanic community. Fully accessible. Free parking.
* St. Vincent’s Church Annual Christmas Bazaar will be held Nov. 5, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the rear of 220 Third St. in the school gymnasium. A few vendor tables still available. For more information, call 717-632-2488.