When schools in Adams County started offering special education services in 1955, it was because the Commonwealth mandated children with needs that couldn’t be addressed in a regular classroom setting still receive an education. With the mandate, the Pennsylvania legislature also agreed to fund the special education program that it cost above what it would have cost to educate those students in a regular classroom setting.
On April 19, 1955, the school directors of Adams County voted to have the county school system take over operating the Adams County Day Care Training Center, and hire a speech therapist. The Retarded Children’s Association had run the center up until this time. It had two teachers and 14 pupils. When the center opened in the former High Street School in Gettysburg in the fall of 1955, it had four teachers and 38 students.